St John’s Innovation Centre
Job Title: Chef
Hours: 37.5 hours per week Monday to Friday
Site location: Cambridge
Main Purpose of Job:
To manage the day to day running of the kitchen and provision of hot foods to ensure the company’s reputation for food quality is maintained.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
• To plan, prepare, cook and present food to the standards required by the company particularly in regard to customers’ special dietary requirements.
• To ensure that the company’s reputation for excellent food and service is enhanced with the customers.
• To control portion size and monitor waste and ensure food preparation and service are achieved in line with the company’s budget.
• To ensure supplies are correctly issued, used and accounted for and ensure food rotation procedures are followed.
• To consistently look at ways of maximising income through effective purchasing and creative merchandising
• To maintain records relating to food production activities and supplier information as required by the Conference & Catering Manager.
• To ensure Health and Safety and Food Safety Standards are maintained in line with company policy as below.
• To set objectives and be responsible for the day to day running of the kitchen.
• To attend team meetings on a regular basis to communicate targets, standards required and company and client information.
• To keep the Conference and Catering Manager informed of day to day operations and assist at all times.
• To ensure that customers are given a prompt and efficient service and expectations are consistently exceeded.
• To be customer focused at all times, approachable and quick to exceed expectations in fulfilling customer needs.
• To ensure all food is cooked and presented using innovation in the method and style of presentation and food service.
• To ensure that you deliver what you promise to the customer and the team.
• To deal with complaints about food in accordance with the company’s procedure.
• To motivate and lead by example, ensuring you and your team have fun at work and are proud of your efforts.
• To treat your team as you would expect to be treated.
• To undertake occasional duties outside the normal routine but within the scope of the position and the teams activities.
• To report any incident of accident, fire, theft, loss, damage and take action as may be appropriate or possible.
Health & Safety
• To ensure that the kitchen meets statutory and company requirements of Health and Safety, Food Safety and environment legislations and procedures.
• To conduct Food Safety and Health and Safety Risk Assessments and ensure that all standards and procedures with regard to Hygiene and Safety are established and maintained in line with the company manual.
• To ensure all kitchen staff and high risk food handlers are trained to the appropriate standard.
• To ensure all appropriate staff are trained on the use and cleaning of dangerous equipment.
• To ensure all equipment is well maintained and is in good working order.
• To make recommendations for renewal and replacement of equipment when required.
• To establish and maintain location cleaning schedules.
• To ensure that all company procedures and work instructions are fully understood and practised by all employees.
• To attend all health and safety training courses as required.
• To promote and encourage environment improving initiative, as appropriate within the business.
• To take responsibility for contributing towards your own development with the guidance of your Manager and attending training courses as identified.
• To show commitment to company values in all aspects of your role.
• To act as a positive ambassador for the business
• To attend to any reasonable request made by the Company’s management.
• To assist the Conference and Catering Manager
• NVQ qualification or equivalent
• Excellent craft skills background
• Basic & Intermediate Food Hygiene Certificate
• Ability to display a real passion for food and customer service.
• Flair and innovative with menus and food presentation
• Supervisory experience
• Management of a medium sized kitchen
• Excellent organisational skills
• Ability to plan ahead
• Ability to work on own initiative
• Effective time management
• Ability to communicate well to team and customers
• Flexible approach to role
• Smart, clean appearance, high standard of personal hygiene
• Confident, lively and outgoing personality
• Respectful and able to gain respect
To apply for this position, please send your CV and Cover Letter to Lynn Nangle on firstname.lastname@example.org